Silent Brass Experiment

Modded Silent BrassFor some time now I have been wanting to use one of my Silent Brass mutes in conjunction with some guitar effects pedals, and then later as an input for use in either pd (PureData) or Audiomulch. The built-in mic will not work with a regular audio mixer. Looking at the design and tracing what I could with a multimeter I built a power supply for it thinking it worked along the lines of the older piezo mics used with PC several years ago. This didn’t work either, so instead of scratching my head, I just got out a hacksaw and decided to take a look inside of the mute.

I didn’t think to document the process with photos, but it turns out there is quite enough room in the mute that I was able to add a second instrument pickup mic that I had purchased by just drilling a second hole and epoxying the mic and connector in place. Some PVC glue, a little work with some sandpaper, and a coat of paint any my “new” Silent Brass mute now works with both the mixer system that came with the mute and with any other board or effects pedal I would like to use.

Next stop, IK Amplitude on the iPad!